AHMA acknowledges the responsibility and opportunity it has been given to improve the housing need in communities. The strategic plan guides us with five distinct goals that focus on immediate and long term actions that will enhance and strengthen culturally-appropriate services and reflect needs of whole communities.
STRATEGIC GOAL 1ENSURING EXCELLENCE IN GOVERNANCE
Deliver strong and responsive governance and policy & ensure implementation of Strategic Plan
- Review, revise and develop policies that are consistent with the BC Aboriginal Social Housing Management Agreement (ASHMA) and AHMA's visions, mission, and core values.
- Review and enhance the relationship between the Board of Directors,senior management, and BC Housing.
- Review AHMA's governance model and continually innovate towards our inclusive and transparent model.
- Solidify Board composition and develop a policy for elections.
- Ensure the AHMA Policy and Procedure Manual is enforced and reviewed yearly (with changes recommended to the Board).
- Develop a CEO, Board, and organizational auditing process.
Ensure Implementation of Strategic Plan
- Create, and renew yearly, a culturally-centered implementation process and schedule for all objectives.
STRATEGIC GOAL 2ENSURING EXCELLENCE IN OPERATIONS
Ensure all Aboriginal people in BC have access to safe, secure, and affordable housing, streamline processes & ensure effective communications
- Adopt a system that can be used to rate housing societies.
- Develop information technology and online access to key corporate and annual information materials.
- Develop client service standards through a standard client review process.
- Develop financial efficiencies to benefit our affordable housing sector.
- Develop a financial review process that will ensure reviews are completed within 60 days of receipt of submission.
- Improve information technology and develop area-wide networking, software, and assessment tools.
Ensure Effective Communications
- Develop a communication policy to receive input from Community-Based Organizations and ensure strong two-way communication.
- Develop a protocol to ensure culturally-appropriate communications in all forms.
STRATEGIC GOAL 3ENSURING CAPITAL ASSET MANAGEMENT
Create a System for Housing Portfolio Assessment
- Develop a policy for AHMA's support for Aboriginal Portfolio Advisors regarding building conditions.
- Continually analyze and compile relevant data to address short, medium and long-term maintenance and capital improvement needs.
- Enhance and expand funding sources for maintenance and capital improvement needs.
Develop an Accessible Technical Resource Centre
- Build capital asset management capacity among all partners.
- Build and maintain strong links with organizations, such as Canadian Housing & Renewal Association (CHRA) and BC Non-Profit Housing Association (BCNPHA), in order to share and identify challenges and solutions in our sector.
- Compile information and ensure ease-of-access for Community Based Organizations at all times to a Technical Resource Centre.
STRATEGIC GOAL 4MAINTAINING SECTOR-LEADING RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF PROGRAMS
Become the Leader in Our Sector for Research Design and Delivery
- Establish and provide leadership in Aboriginal housing research and knowledge translation.
- Identify gaps in housing sector policy development and conduct research to address these gaps.
- Collaborate with higher education institutions.
- Become the 'first choice' for information in regards to any question related to Aboriginal housing.
Compile Sector Needs and Opportunities - Develop Support Programs
- Document and adopt best practices of Aboriginal housing providers to improve the social, economic, cultural, and environmental conditions of tenants.
- Develop leading expertise in Aboriginal home ownership policy, processes, and financing.
- Identify, leverage, and expand programs that provide needed and/or innovative support to Aboriginal providers or their tenants.
- Explore opportunities to access new resource to create more Aboriginal housing programs.
- Research resources and opportunities available with agencies that support healthy family capacity-building.
STRATEGIC GOAL 5ENSURING SUSTAINABILITY FOR AHMA AND COMMUNITY-BASED ORGANIZATION (CBOs)
Prepare Development Strategy and Systems
- Provide culturally-centred project management support for housing projects.
- Support CBOs with strategic portfolio planning.
- Prepare a development plan for the Rural Native Housing (RNH) properties owned by AHMA.
- Provide support to housing development to benefit Aboriginal communities.
Support Advocacy for the Aboriginal Affordable Housing Sector
- Develop a culturally-centred advocacy policy.
- Support a process that builds inclusion amongst Aboriginal CBOs.
- Increase AHMA Corporate Membership by 33%, based on the start of the 2015 fiscal year.
Develop and Support Social Enterprise Opportunity
- Research financial best practices in social enterprise development in our sector.
- Provide education support for social enterprise development within CBOs and provide assistance to leverage opportunities for financing.
- Build partnerships with the social enterprise sector.
Ensure Long-Term Financial Viability
- Build new relationships to access additional revenue sources for AHMA and CBOs.
- Expand into capital planning and new development over the long term.
- Provide planning assistance and tools for long-term CBO financial planning.
- Determine feasibility for a culturally-centred development and consulting arm for AHMA.